About the Secretariat
The National Council is assisted in the discharge of its parliamentary functions by a Secretariat headed by the Secretary General. The Secretariat comprises four divisions, viz., Secretariat Services Division (AFD), Information & Communication Division, Legislative & Procedural Division and Hansard & Research Division. They provide professional, technical and administrative services as hereunder:
- Conduct election of the Chairperson and the Deputy Chairperson before the first sitting of the National Council on re-constitution;
- Organize training or orientation programme for newly elected members;
- Provide advice to the Chairperson and Members on the operation of proceedings, interpretation of standing orders, parliamentary practices and precedent;
- Draft/review Bills, Acts, Rules and other legislations;
- Provide research and secretarial services to the various committees;
- Carry out administrative and financial functions;
- Prepare agenda and resolutions of the National Council;
- Transcribe proceedings of the Council sessions (Verbatim);
- Provide/arrange interpretation and translation services;
- Publish and distribute resolutions of the National Council;
- Safeguard records of decisions and proceedings; and
- Coordinate with Ministries and other Government agencies.
- Carry out civic education and public awareness on parliamentary democracy; and
- Build institutional linkages with Inter Parliamentary Union (IPU), other parliaments and related associations/forums.